HGV – Health and Safety Regulations
The challenges of running a haulage/logistics business are numerous and given that burden HGV operators sometimes put health and safety compliance to the bottom of their “to-do list”, hoping (against hope) that they will never have to deal with a serious injury suffered (or caused) by someone they employ.
For any business with more than 5 employees it is mandatory that you have a WRITTEN risk assessment and Health & Safety policy. That policy must be kept up to date on an annual basis and individuals specified for the various areas covered. So ask yourself the following questions:
- What health & safety issues are there in my operation?
- What rules must I comply with and how do I make sure that I comply fully with them both now and in the future?
- What is my health & safety policy and do I need a written document?
- To what extent (if at all) is my health & safety policy recorded?
- Who is responsible for health & safety within the organisation?
- When was the health & safety policy (such as it may be) last reviewed and with what result?
- Who needs to know about the operation’s health & safety policies?
- Has everyone who needs to know about health & safety received the necessary information?
Health & Safety regulatory compliance is a complex but nevertheless critical area for road transport operators. Obtaining the right advice on health & safety compliance before someone gets hurt is the best protection against regulatory action, including prosecution. This is where Pellys Transport & Regulatory Law can assist. Call us now on 01279 818280 or click here to contact one of the team.